conscious -adj. 1 awake and aware of one's surroundings and identity. 2 aware, knowing. 3 (of actions, emotions, etc.) realized or recognized by the doer; intentional. 4 (in comb.) aware of; concerned with -n. (prec. by the) the conscious mind. consciousness n. [Latin scio know]

Oxford Dictionary of Current English

Please note: All posts appear in order they are posted. In order to view these posts in order use the Blog Archive button on the side.



Friday, January 28, 2011

Whose Awakening is it Anyway?


Early in my awakening it became clear that, while I might be having an intensely subjective experience of awakening, it was not my awakening I was participating in, but rather, Awakening. It is not my Awakening.

Emerging from the conceptual morass of the egoic, or separation, paradigm, this was not a "natural" thought. Every thought I had had, to that time, revolved around the axis of the separate "I". Religion had taught me that it was my salvation, or my damnation. That it was my relationship to the eternal that was my concern. It was my actions, my challenge, and my responsibility. (I will say, as an aside, that, having had a reasonable level of self-knowledge and a fairly clear eye in evaluating same, I did not fancy my chances!)

We are smack dab in the middle of the "separation mind" and few thoughts that arise are untainted by it. But the Awakening we enter is One Consciousness-Indivisible.

As I allowed my attention to be drawn to what was around me (rather than seeking to see what should be there), I began to notice something: There were a number of others having similar awakenings, with similar narrative or content, sharing a similar timeline. Though this was "proof" of nothing, it did plant the seeds of a question: Was it possible that Consciousness was awakening, in a similar way, with a similar narrative, through many, and at the same time? Whose awakening was it anyway?

Kelp


One day, I had a meditation that was very useful to me in "getting" this idea. I saw a vision of kelp-a great forest of kelp that covered the sea bed as far as the eye could see. Millions of individuated strands rose toward the light above, but each grounded in the same source, each surrounded by the same water. Millions of strands, but only one forest, one sea, and one Sun. I watched as a current began to move through these waters. As it moved, these strands of kelp moved too, in unison, as they gracefully undulated before this invisible force. One Source, One Sun, millions of strands, One movement, One dance.
Isolation

It has been almost three years from the moment I would mark as the time when awakening began inside of my perceptual awareness. Most of that time I have spent (ironically?) in intense isolation as I sought to clear and comprehend. The first year might be characterized as beautiful and agonizing bewilderment, the second as stepping back into a world changed, and the third as practicing the understanding that there is nothing to be gained, merely shed. Shine! Through all these (grossly oversimplified) stages, there was one constant-isolation.

When I say isolation what do I mean? I do not, in the whole, use this word in a sense of anguish or want, as in alone, or cut off. I simply mean that I was off in God and me land, content and well occupied.

It might be said that my isolation was a product of a number of things: 1) the intense focus needed to apply continual mindful attention to what was happening inside of me, and to how that was changing my perception of the world around me, 2) my absolute astonishment with and love for what was unfolding, 3) a deep distrust of the words and commitments of others, and 4) an inherited and abiding lack of confidence and worth, in regard to my own wider value.

I wonder how many others have wandered, or continue to wander, in this land of isolation? Knowing the great and eternal nature of what arises within, how many stand alone rather than seek the comfort of society, lest what is Holy be profaned or trivialized? Are there others who would walk alone in quiet certainty rather than endure the misapprehensions and scrutiny of others? How many gifts are being anguished over, too heavy for one to lift? How many stay silent out of a fear, or discomfort, that what they have seen, what they have felt, or what they would say, is too different, too outrageous, too certain to bring down the scorn or judgement of others?  Who, like me, allows their light to be a secret treasure and a source of separate pride?

The Dance of Kelp

Above is a wonderful image that was done by Scott Chitwood. It, like one earlier on in this post, is a picture of a kelp forest. In the words of its creator, "Gentle undulations of the sea snatch afternoon sunshine in playful whimsy; colourful patches of light dance amongst giant kelp." To me, this is a gorgeous representation of what happens when much movement becomes a single thing. Energy, light, current, and flow all combine for one breathtaking expression.

A Single Strand


We are, each of us, perfect. Together, however, we are the very dance of formlessness in form, timelessness in time, and the Creator becoming Creation.

Today, if you have made it this far, you know of what I speak. Together we prepare to receive the understanding that you are not like me, you are me.

I would say this to you who joins me in this time and place, the time of preparation is over. The agonies of the "personal" are over. We are being called to Unity-now. This year, these next few months, let us hear our calling. It is time. That which is indivisible has no business with the neurosis of egoic separation. The "judging mind"  is the key, the very foundation, of the egoic paradigm. Without it, it will crumble. Join me in letting go of judgement, that which arises within knows all things anyway. You need not be concerned. You are safe. You and I are One. We are the very Energy and Intelligence of the Universe stirred up to remembrance. Flow! Let go!

I encourage you to join with me now in both The Great Mystery and action. Arise! Leave a comment, a story, a poem, a picture, or a link in the comments section. Sing with me now. Dance with me now!

Whose awakening is it anyway? It is ours and all. We who have the Grace to perceive it, to feel it as it courses through our veins, are blessed beyond measure.

I leave you with some words to a new song that I am writing. Its about you and me, and me and me, and a little mystery, baby!



Dancing

You and me
In the place where eyes and time can't see
You and me
Dancing through eternity

We are more
Than we seem
As we wake up
From this dream
We're dancing

May you know the Light and Love that is around you all the time, and when time is no more.


No comments:

Post a Comment